About HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital
HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital is a joint partnership between HCA Healthcare UK and University College Hospital. We provide care for patients with cancer including blood cancers; we also provide specialist care for blood disorders.
Our friendly team of experienced doctors and nurses are on hand 24/7 to help treat, guide and support our patients from initial diagnostic tests through to treatment and follow up care, and are continuously commended through our patient satisfaction surveys. The team is led by the HCA Healthcare UK Joint Ventures management team and the local clinical management team at HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital.
At HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital we aim for excellence at all times, we constantly monitor and review our patient satisfaction scores, so that we can continue to develop and improve our services.
- 99%* of patients would recommend HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital.
- 98%* of patients felt they were treated with respect and dignity at all times while in hospital.
- 100%* of patients were satisfied with their overall quality of care.
*Results from a segment of patients surveyed in 2016.
At HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital we are proud of our stringent infection control policies and the contribution they make to providing a safe and clean environment for our patients and their visitors.
- No patients acquired MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) at Harley Street at University College Hospital in 2015.
- 1 patient acquired MSSA (Methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus) at HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital in 2015.
- 2 patients acquired E.coli (Escherichia coli) at HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital in 2015.
At HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital our priority is to ensure that all patients are cared for safely and we continually look for ways to improve the services we provide to patients and their carers.
We encourage feedback from our staff and patients and are focused on responding and improving our processes when incidents occur or concerns are raised. We are dedicated to the development of staff and support ongoing staff education, training and performance development.
At HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital we achieve this by:
- Adopting risk management processes to proactively minimise risks to patients, visitors and staff
- Continual assessment to ensure the effectiveness and quality of care through audit and feedback from patients
- Promote a safety focused culture and encourage incident reporting and learning
- Endorsing good practice and sharing successes
At HCA Healthcare UK at University College Hospital all staff play a pivotal role in ensuring good governance through continually assessing our performance, proactively responding to feedback and providing shared learning to create ongoing action plans, that support us to deliver high quality care.
We are supported by a dedicated Governance Department who provide guidance and co-ordination of:
- Clinical audits
- Patient feedback and complaints management
- Incident management
- Risk management
- Policy development
The team is led by the Head of Governance and Risk. The Chief Executive Officer has overall responsibility for the quality of care provided by the hospital and is supported by the Chief Operating Officer, Clinical Director and Consultant Governance Lead.
High Dependency and Critical Care+
We have 24-7 access to high dependency care and a large Intensive Treatment Unit (ITU). This means that we can treat patients with both simple and complex conditions with 24 hour back up all on one site if it is needed.
HCA Healthcare UK Mission Statement+
Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life. In recognition of this commitment, we will strive to deliver high quality, cost-effective healthcare in the communities we serve.
In pursuit of our mission, we believe the following statements are essential and timeless:
- We recognise and affirm the unique and intrinsic value of each individual.
- We treat all those we serve with compassion and kindness.
- We act with honesty, integrity and fairness in the way we conduct our business and in our personal behaviour.
- We trust our colleagues as valuable members of our healthcare team and pledge to treat each other with loyalty, respect, and dignity.
PHIN - Fair Processing+
On 10 May 2013, the Secretary of State for Health gave permission to the Private Healthcare Information Network (PHIN), of which this hospital is a member, to conduct a pilot exercise to evaluate the potential benefits of linking records of private treatment to records of any subsequent NHS treatment. The exercise is expected to demonstrate potentially important improvements to the measurement and management of clinical quality, to facilitate enhanced regulation of the private healthcare industry, and to provide better information to support patients’ choices. The exercise will look for any instances where patients in private hospitals subsequently needed unplanned care in an NHS hospital.
The pilot exercise will involve around 650,000 patient records from around 150 private hospitals, including some from this hospital.
All clinical data will be processed anonymously, with any information which could identify individual patients removed. However, in order to first identify any records held by the NHS matching those for patients treated privately, basic personal data (name, date of birth, postcode, treatment date and, where available, NHS Number) will be notified to the Health & Social Care Information Centre (the Government body responsible for holding and processing information for the NHS) for one-time use. This data will not be retained by HSCIC after processing.
The use of this data will benefit future patients.
If you were admitted for treatment at this hospital in 2012 and would prefer that your information should not be used for this study, please send an email to the address below, or ask a member of the hospital’s administrative staff to do so on your behalf. If your data is included, we will make every effort to withhold it.